Insurance Drives ESG Adoption.
Insurance has long been an agent of social change. Some time ago, it was lighting rods and brick construction for property insurance. Earlier this year, it was gun safety. Today it is a range of ESG-linked process changes. “The high cost of settlements over police misconduct has led insurers to demand police departments overhaul tactics or forgo coverage […] For some police departments, insurers are refusing even to provide initial coverage unless they change their policies on a variety of matters including body cameras and chokeholds, according to industry experts.” Insurance Drives ESG Adoption.
Click on the image above to read more (Washington Post Paywall).
Steel City Re is an insurance intermediary and risk advisor for reputation and ESG-linked reputation risk. Auditors’ reports on controls are how boards can signal to regulators that their management processes are effective. Reputation and ESG insurances are how boards can signal to investors and the courts (and regulators) that their governance processes are effective.
Reputation is Mission-Critical
A management program for ethics and compliance can forestall prosecution and mitigate fines. Similarly, oversight of “mission- critical” issues can forestall securities litigation. A program for reputation resilience, comprising both risk management and authenticated oversight for all that is mission-critical, can create value in many ways.. To this end, Steel City Re offers a Reputation Resilience Program.
Having a robust Reputation Resilience Program in place offers, amongst other benefits:
- Protection for the company, its staff, executives, and board from litigation and regulatory challenges
- Improved governance processes and better enterprise risk management protocols
- Establishment of an agile operating, communications, and decision-making team, with clear roles and responsibilities, trained and ready to handle all reputational threats
- Proactive management of risks that could give rise to delays or derailing concerns around new product and strategic partnership launches
- Captured behavioral economic value from stakeholders
- Reduced costs of debt and risk transfer while boosting equity value
A hazard of reputation risk is a lurking gap between stakeholder expectations and reality. Another hazard is the emotional intensity associated with expectations. The peril is anger from disappointed stakeholders. This video and this written summary explain the behavioral economic features of the many perils of reputation risk.
Mitigating risk strategically through expectation management and operational adjustments evinces thoughtful management and dutiful governance. Financing such risks evinces prudence, and doing so publicly enables stakeholders to appreciate and value the effort. These comprise the core of Steel City Re’s professional services.
Insurance Drives ESG Adoption. ESG-linked reputation risks are prevalent and material. Are insurances for ESG-linked reputation risk part of your strategy?